Safe4Athletes is a not-for-profit organization that:
1. Advocates for and helps sports organizations adopt effective policies, procedures and educational programs that are designed to prevent coach, volunteer and peer misconduct whether it be abuse (sexual, verbal, emotional or physical) bullying, harassment or other forms of inappropriate behaviors.
2. Assists sports organizations faced with situations involving sexual misconduct, bullying, harassment and other forms of inappropriate conduct on how to handle these situations appropriately and act quickly to restore safe environments for athletes.
3. Provides a safe and confidential place where abused athletes, their parents or others concerned about the impact of coach/volunteer/peer misconduct can call to:
- talk to other athletes who have been through similar situations;
- be referred to professional counselors who can provide psychological or other assistance;
- get advice on how to communicate with their local sports organization and national sports governing body so appropriate proceedings can be initiated to investigate, adjudicate and, if necessary, remove the offending coach or sport leader from his or her position before others can be hurt; and/or
- help their sports organization find model policies, procedures, educational programs and advice on how to prevent and to deal with such situations.
4. Encourages and helps educate all parents and athletes to be more aware of what they can do to recognize inappropriate coach/volunteer/peer behavior and understand how traumatic the effects of such experiences can be for athletes.
5. Partners with state, regional, and national sports governing associations and other national sports organizations to encourage the adoption of legislation mandating that their members adopt strong policies, procedures and educational programs regarding this issue.